Some guidelines for assessing isolated and/or degraded potential habitat areas such as gardens and industrial sites.
Elements that increase the habitat value of an area
- Proximity to bushland reserve
- Mature trees particularly eucalypts
- Intact understorey particularly indigenous species
- Native fauna present
- Exposed rock, logs and leaf litter present
- Clean water present.
Elements that decrease the habitat value of an area
- Minimal or single species understorey
- Long distance from bushland reserve
- Closeness to busy road
- Within range of foxes and roaming cats
- High population of Pied Currawongs and Noisy Miners.
- Dense canopy of Sweet Pittosporum (Pittosporum undulatum)
© Danie Ondinea and Ian McAllan, May 1995
Australian Association of Bush Regenerators (NSW) Inc. 2006